Sunday, August 21, 2011

Billy Jack (1990-1996)


Billy Jack formed in '89 or '90 when Wayne Shellabarger hit Dave Nagle's car and offered to buy Dave beer if he wouldn't report the accident. Naturally, Dave and Wayne became friends and the band started soon afterward. This is the first Billy Jack release and was recorded not long after Joe Brooks joined the band. When they started there was a drummer named Carl and a keyboardist named Bob both of whom left the band for reasons I'm not sure of. 4-track recordings were made of the original lineup but so far Wayne has yet to unearth the masters so I don't have them. Songs are hilarious and probably not something you'd want your children to hear, especially the bonus tracks I'm including that explain why the band chose the name "Waterproof Records" for their label.

No Job Too Big For This Thirsty Lover (1991)

1. Crystal Up My Butt
2. Tommy
3. Knights In White Cotton Panties
4. Martin
5. Roadkill BBQ
6. Grandpa Ollie
7. $400 Boner
8. Oiling the Mitt
9. Billy Jack Theme
Bonus Tracks
10. In Jail
11. In Jail (extended)

3 comments:

  1. These dudes were amazing. So smart, so hilarious. Makes me laugh just reading the song titles again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl here. I'm the guy who drummed right before Joe, but there was at least one drummer before me, a 16 year old runaway girl. Sounds made up but it is a fact. I left the band when I moved up to Seattle, probably the dumbest decision I ever made was leaving that band, but probably the best thing that ever could have happened to Billy Jack, because I can't drum, and Joe could. He took it to the next level (the "real band" level). Once they got Bruno and the other guitar player who's name escapes me they got REALLY good. Anyway, Bob left for the same reason I did, also he was a really shitty keyboardist, and having one of the band members start having an affair with his girlfriend didn't really help things out that much either.

    ReplyDelete